The University of Miami
Public Health Sciences- Assoc Professor/ Professor
The University of Miami (UM) is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Division of Prevention Science and Community Health in the Department of Public Health Sciences at the University of Miami is seeking an exceptional candidate for a tenure track/tenured Associate/Full Professor.
The Division of Prevention Science and Community Health is dedicated to advancing the investigation of the etiology of bio-behavioral and social factors in the prevention of physical and mental illness that lead to morbidity and mortality. We are committed to improving health by developing, testing, and supporting the implementation of effective programs, policies, and practices. The Division, which houses a Ph.D. and a M.S. program in Prevention Science and Community Health, is also dedicated to training and mentoring future leaders in prevention science and community health.
The Division is currently engaged in highly interdisciplinary, cutting-edge scientific discovery in a range of physical, behavioral, and mental health areas, including HIV, cancer, obesity, substance use, delinquency, and depression. Our faculty members are experts in developing preventive interventions for ethnic minority populations, and men who have sex with men and male couples. Faculty also have expertise in community based participatory research, social network analyses, and in translational and implementation science. The Division's faculty research and teaching is integrated with multicultural, community-based interventions research. The Division houses large programs of research, including programs in implementation science, community-based participatory research, and projects on substance abuse, HIV, and obesity in minority youth both in the US and abroad.
Division faculty have been locally, nationally and internationally recognized for their contributions to prevention science, community health, and mentoring initiatives from numerous organizations, including the Society for Prevention Research, the National Hispanic Science Network, and the Society for Research on Adolescence.
The selected individual will be a faculty member in the Division of Prevention Science and Community Health and will be encouraged to develop a campus-wide program that takes advantage of the intellectual capital throughout the Miller School of Medicine, the University, and the unique diversity of our populations and South Florida’s unique location as the gateway to the Americas. Scientists with bold ideas and a hunger for breakthrough research who have the potential to revolutionize prevention science and community health, and who want to train the next generation of leaders in these areas, are urged to consider this unique opportunity.
We seek those who apply creativity to the acquisition, synthesis, and application of knowledge to inform prevention and health promotion at the population level. Candidates specifically conducting health disparities research, community-based participatory research, global health research, implementation/translational science, and methods research in prevention are encouraged to apply.JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Candidates should have the ability to:
- Make scientific breakthroughs, that once translated, will save lives or improve quality of life.
- Obtain external funding.
- Candidates seeking the rank of Associate or Full Professor will be expected to secure, investigator-initiated grants (R01), program projects, and/or P20/30/50/60 Center grants, to support cutting edge research.
- Build and develop a fully funded team of high caliber researchers, including post-doctoral fellows and graduate students, focusing on research in prevention science and community health.
- Represent the Division, Department, School, and the University at professional meetings in local communities, nationally, and across the globe.
- Assist in the recruitment of the best and brightest doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows and mentor them throughout their years of study.
- Motivate students in the graduate programs within the Division and the Department with innovative courses created to engage students in strategic thinking.
- Publish seminal research findings in refereed, high impact journals, book chapters and books.
- Collaborate with other faculty to obtain research funding for trans-disciplinary research.
- Assist in the development of strategic partnerships with Departments at the University, particularly within the Medical School, but also with Departments, Centers, and Institutes throughout the University.
o MD/MPH, MD/PhD or PhD degree with specific graduate training in prevention science, community health, or a related field
o Evidence of high-impact publications
o Effective oral and written communication skills including teaching experience, presentations at scientific meetings, and a significant publication record in peer-reviewed high impact journals
o Demonstrated ability to lead innovative research projects to successful conclusions
o Demonstrated a history of securing NIH R01s, program projects, center grants, cooperative agreements, and/or training grants.
Rank is commensurate to level of experience.
The following are areas of special interest:
- Implementation Science
- Maternal and Child Health
- Chronic Disease and Obesity Prevention
- Cancer Prevention
Applicants must apply online.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law.<img height=1 width=1 border=0 src=https://universityofmiamischoolofmed.contacthr.com/71968461.jpg /> To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: https://universityofmiamischoolofmed.contacthr.com/71968461
Education Required:Masters Degree - MA
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :